September 2nd – 4th
opening on Friday: 6:30-11pm, Sat+Sun: 12-6pm
The definition of a ‘Bedroom Artist’ is someone who doesn’t have the luxury of a studio space, has no gallery representation, but has big ideas, the need to create no matter what and pushes the boundaries of creation to exciting and new places.
By joining together, 36 artists have become the Bedroom Artists’ Collective and in doing so we have found a way to create a bright new future for ourselves where we can exhibit our work, meet other artists, introduce our works to new audiences and open up new opportunities to talented emerging artists everywhere.
The call out for first group show has found incredibly diverse and gifted contemporary Artists specialising in painting, sculpture, video, illustration, mixed media, live art, street art and more.
On Saturday and Sunday there will be workshops, live art and a game show element for visitors. This exhibition will be done ‘on a shoe-string’ with minimal cost for the artists exhibiting, with volunteers working to set up, work at and take down the exhibition and no entry fee for visitors. The artists will be selling their work.
The Hive is a perfect compliment to the principles behind our collective as a not-for-profit group there to help the artistic community. The Hive was set up to turn an empty building waiting for development into a space that can be used for the good of the local Hackney community.
The artists showing will be:
- Alastair Bishop – East London based street artist
- Alexandra Donnelly – Illustrator – https://www.facebook.com/mossandmabel/
- Andrew Arran Smith – Silent, deep, textural, contemplative – www.andrewarransmith.wix.com/fineart
- Anna Lena Dube Fuller – Irish-Trinidadian artist making provocative sculptures with a sense of humour – www.annalenadubefuller.com
- Anne Grimwade – Sculptures reflecting the subconscious and exploring the domestic space – www.annegrimwade.co.uk
- Ben Walker – Using found images to create paintings concentrating on the emotive subject of childhood- http://www.benwalkerart.co.uk/
- Brittany Redman – Australian Abstract Artist – Founder of Happy as Flynn, commissioned paintings around London and painted a 42 metre street art in Peckham Rye – http://happyasflynn.bigcartel.com/
- Cedoux Kadima – Bringing traditional African culture into contemporary vision… – https://www.facebook.com/cdoux.buatshini
- Charlotte Southall – abstract work that looks at interpreting mathematical and scientific theories through the medium of paint and collage.
- Corinne Scurr – Artist from West London, working with mixed media and found objects – www.thekilnhouse.blogspot.co.uk
- Dominic Snow (Elephantman) – Elephantman, street sculptor, strictly elephants, mostly on the street – http://www.dominicsnow.com/
- Emily Bailey – Audiovisual Filmmaker and Video Designer – http://emilybailey.co.uk/
- Flora Malpas – figurative artist with an interdisciplinary approach to portraiture – www.floramalpas.com
- Francesco Marongiu – street photogorapher concerned with society, religion, human rights, nature and country/city relationship as main topics – www.francescomarongiu.com
- Giulio Cascini – mixed media work concerned with linking history and biography and the future
- Glenn Fitzy Fitzpatrick – Contemporary Artist, Author,Gulf War Veteran – https://www.facebook.com/fitzy593
- Harry Cartwright – Contemporary painter and photographer based in East London. – harrycartwright.co.uk
- Izzy Nakhla – Sound based work – emphasis on the voice, music and secret internal worlds – https://soundcloud.com/ilnaudio/maker-iln-2016-clip/s-gsBX2
- Isabel Budroni – Illustrations and comics strips – www.isabelbudroni.com
- James O’Connor – Bristol based artist – http://jamesoconnorartblog.tumblr.com/
- Jessamy Hawke – London-based illustrator interested in landscape and literature – jessamyhawke.co.uk
- Julie Pallot – contemporary poetry with a painterly twist
- Katrina Stamatopoulos – Photographic and lens based making species – http://katrinastamatopoulos.net/
- Lewis – Urban photographer using film and videographer – http://photographybylewis.co.uk/
- Luna Perri – Fairytales – Italian Storyteller Photographer – https://www.flickr.com/photos/lunaperri/
- Martin Okoli (SOMA) – Mixed media work influenced by childhood – http://www.stateofmyart.co.uk/
- Matt Valentine – woodcut printmaker
- Mia Wilkinso – oil painter which are visceral explorations of certain sexualised female forms – www.miawilkinsonartist.com
- Nara Walker – exploring physicality and pushes the boundaries of self imposed rules – www.naraisart.com
- Nicholas Tonino Baldion – Aesthetically beautiful painting with an unreal quality – http://www.nicholasbaldion.com/
- Nisant Vibhani – Mixed media portrait artist
- Nora Emilia – contemporary portrait artist – http://nora-emilia.tumblr.com/
- Rachel Ahmad – A teller of stories with bold colour and line
- Sarah Anna Nolas – Mixed media exploration
- Sid & Jim – pushing the first domino; things that start stories – www.sidandjim.com
- Simone Barnes – Homerton based Installation/ performance artist – www.simonebarnes.com
- Sophie Teasdale & Joseph Gurdon – Bringing a collaborative body of work combining analogue photography and painting – Sophie: http://cargocollective.com/sophieteasdalephotography Joseph: http://www.joeygurdon.com/